Follow on G+

Thursday 5 January 2023

Resignation Letter Samples and Writing Tips

When you quit your job, you should send a resignation letter to your manager to confirm the details of your departure.

You can send your resignation letter via email or hand a typed copy directly to your supervisor. Regardless of how you send it, your resignation letter should be short and sweet, containing just the essential information: your last day of work, your thanks for the opportunity, and perhaps an offer to help with the transition.

Here are a few resignation letter samples to help you craft your own message.

Sample #1: Resignation Letter for a Job Change

If you opt for a hard-copy letter, use the business letter format, which begins with address paragraphs and the date.

Janet Smith
24 North Main Street, Apt. 5
Essex-on-Hudson, NY 10704

June 2, 2023

Rae Jones
Senior Manager
LMK Inc.

51 West 17th St.
New York, NY 10011

Dear Rae,

I’m writing to let you know that I’ve accepted a new job as a marketing associate at Acme Corp, and so I’m resigning from my position at LMK Inc. My last day will be June 16.

I’m so grateful to you for everything you’ve taught me over the past two years. It’s rare that an entry-level position offers such opportunities to learn and grow. Your support has helped me every step of the way.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help with the transition. I’m happy to help train my replacement or get other team members up to speed on my projects. And please do keep in touch.

With my sincere thanks,

Janet Smith

Phone: (917) 555-1246
Email: Janet.Smith@email.com

Sample #2: Resignation Letter With Just the Facts

Although you can choose to provide a reason for your resignation, e.g., taking another job or going back to school, you are not obligated to do so. This sample shows how to resign politely without providing a lot of detail about your reasons.

John Lee
80 Chestnut St
Parham, MA 02190

February 7, 2023

Brian Cho
Director
XYZ LLC
101 Summer St., Ste. 100
Boston, MA 02110

Dear Brian,

Please accept this letter of resignation from my position as sales coordinator at XYZ LLC. My last day in the office will be February 21.

I want to extend my sincere thanks to you and the rest of the team for the past few years, which have been happy and productive. I’ll miss our weekly sales calls and chats.

I’m happy to help with the transition in any way that I can, and I hope that you’ll stay in touch. My contact information follows.

Best regards,

John

John.Lee@email.com
LinkedIn.com/john.lee

Sample #3: Resignation Letter Without Notice

It’s usually best to offer at least two weeks’ notice when you quit your job. However, this isn’t always possible or desirable. For example, you might have a family emergency that requires your immediate attention. Or you might need to leave a toxic work environment as soon as possible.

Joe Walters
13 Ivy St. Apt. 12
Los Angeles, CA 90011

March 3, 2023

Cathy Wang
Owner
Green Solutions, Inc.
97 Dove St., 1st Floor
Los Angeles CA 90011

Dear Cathy,

I regret to inform you that I’m resigning from my job effective today, March 3, 2023, due to a family emergency.

I’m sorry to leave without the standard notice. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you fill the position more quickly. I’m also available by phone (213) 555-9398 or email (Joe@mysite.com) if you have any questions.

Best,

Joe Walters

Sample #4: Resignation Email

The advantage of sending a resignation email is that it provides a paper trail. Because you have a copy in your sent folder, there’s no way your manager can say that you didn’t resign or offer the appropriate notice.

If you choose to send your letter via email, you can omit the address paragraphs and the date. Be sure to choose a subject line that’s clear and straightforward (see below).

Subject line: Resignation—Emily Green

Dear Sue,

Following up on our conversation today, here’s my official letter of resignation. As we discussed, my last day of work will be August 14.

I will truly miss working with you and the rest of the team at Central CafĂ©. I’ll be sure to stop by when I’m in town on winter break.

Please stay in touch! My contact info is in my signature.

Cheers,

Emily Green

Phone: (312) 555-8765
Email: Emily.Green@email.com



from Career Tool Belt https://ift.tt/CQkLWPr

0 comments:

Post a Comment